Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Peter R. Dante's Adventures on the Other Side of the Corridor - assignment 17/part 1

Peter R. Dante's Adventures on the Other Side of the Corridor - assignment 17 / part 1

Everything is under my total control. Everything, that is, except time. Time is given to me. But from the moment I have it, the rest is all under my control. How is time given to me, you ask? In an envelope, bright and clear, with my name written on it. Peter R. Dante. Once I open the envelope, the rules are clear: I accept the time assignment and I proceed as pleases me. Who gives me the time assignment, you ask? That is clouded in mystery, as they say, clouded in mystery. It gets to me, is all I'm concerned about.

I sometimes sniff the envelope before I open it. This special one I received today is decorated with drawings of pink flowers. And, yes, it surely smells pink too! How it puts me in a special mood! I bite the envelope open with my teeth. How excited I am. I haven't had a time assignment for three weeks now, and it's been under my nails since, itching all over me, the urge to dive down again. A time assignment enveloped in a pink cloud! What more promising an assignment could I get.

The letter inside the envelope is neatly folded, as usual. The person who sends me these letters surely goes through a lot of attentive folding trouble. It's a fine display of character, me thinks. It adds to my conviction that these assignments are not to be treated lightly. Serious business that is, a time assignment. Serious business for which my clock is always ready, always ready, ticking bright and clear.

Now I open the letter. That is always a special moment, as you can imagine. A few seconds to stretch the excitement. There it is! 5 hours and 17 minutes! What a long time that is! No wonder it was wrapped in pink fumes. Where's my coat? I'll need a knapsack with some food too. Where's my hat? 5 hours and 17 minutes. Which way should I go? Maybe I won't need a hat. How's the weather outside? Weather outside is pink. Should be all right down there too, without a hat. I'll wear my coat anyway. Mom, where's my coat? In the cupboard, Peter R. Dante, in the cupboard. Okay. Where are you going, Peter? I euh I have something to do, mom. When will you be back? Probably tomorrow, mom. Why, that long! Yes, mom, but I promise you, I'll be safe. All right then, young boy, but promise me you'll be safe. I already promised, mom.

I'm outside now, on the lawn. I make a little turn. So many directions, so much time! It would drive a sane person insane. But not me, I know where I'll be going. I'll go that way! This hole right here will do. Now, where is my watch? 5 hours and 17 minutes... what a long assignment, I had better make sure to have enough energy... starting in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, go! I dive in the hole, and I start digging. That way. As planned.

(to be continued)

1 comment:

echochamber said...

i'm impressed.